Monday, May 12, 2008

The Place


There is one place in the world that brings me back to center. The place is not a city or a house. It is an actual spot on the earth. Who knows if I will be able to touch that spot every year of my life, but I have every year of my life up to this one. At the dune's crest on this sandy path is that spot. Something there provides, for me, a unity of matter, love and eternity. I have only felt peace, happiness, or gratitude on that spot, never bitterness or emptiness. I see my beautiful grandmother standing on that spot, watching the ocean. I watch my aunts, uncles, parents, cousins, sisters and brother running past that spot year after year with diapers, buckets, flip flops, surf boards, and with children of their own. I see myself sitting on that spot, among the sea oats, admiring the sun or moon. That spot helps me transcend thoughts of "the world" and I reach, if only for moments, another kind of understanding. I have been a little child, a teenager, a young woman, a wife and a mother there, but on that very spot, somehow, I am always the same person; someone more whole and connected to everything else. It is my amazing place.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful.

Jill said...

What a beautiful spot. I think you must make it there this year.

Andrea said...

Wow, that is so beautiful. Thanks for your words - I needed that shift in perspective today.

growing our love... said...

Wonderful perspective! Thank you for this.
Donna

Anonymous said...

I know this place. And in the blink of an eye, the sun will drop below the horizon west of here, over the sound. Sometimes it's like the entire island is silent, just. at. that. moment.