Sunday, June 1, 2008

Double Plus

123 days waiting for I600 determination. Our acknowledgement letter, February 1 read:
Dear Mr/Ms. [thegregs],
This office is in receipt of your Form I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative. Your petition and supporting evidence will be reviewed by USCIS to determine whether the child named qualifies as an orphan. In certain cases it may be concluded that an administrative field inquiry or a request for evidence is necessary to make that determination. Most determinations will be completed in 60 days.

You will be notified by mail as soon as this determination has been completed.



We have waited more than double the time that "most determinations will be completed". We have waited almost 80 days longer than the "average" stated in the notes from the ASP meeting last week (which happens to be the exact same average stated in a letter to David Price two months ago. Is the average number of days a stable number?). Are these (at least) 30 cases over 100 days included in this average? Can we please see a ratio of cases approved vs. cases denied to understand why our children are being relegated to institutionalized care? No, I do not believe that my child should be collateral damage to the larger cause. He will be a year old on the 25th of this month. This is NUTS. I am exhausted, and I am sad.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are no words.

Jill said...

unacceptable beyond words

James and Melissa said...

I am so sorry and I do know what you are going through. Our babies turn one year on June 21st. We are sad that we are going to miss their first birthday.

Andrea said...

Just missed our little girl's first birthday last Saturday. I know this is hard. And there is no reason, no explanation, no compassion.

Thinking of you through these hard times. Is has to end soon, doesn't it?

Alix said...

Oh, don't get me started on DOS and USCIS' "average" processing time. I did hear that several agencies at last week's ASP meeting questioned that statistic because it wasn't their experience and Michael Valverde just said "that's what our statistics show."

USCIS and DOS also have statements out saying that any family that is over 60 days gets a written explanation for the delay. Mind you, 60 days, not the BS "working" days. I'm almost at day 80 and have received nothing. I called USCIS and DOS in Vietnam and they would tell me nothing.

I've lost a lot of respect for our government over this.