Wednesday, April 9, 2008

A Love Letter to Daniel

I have never held you in my arms, but you live in my heart, and you will always live there. I don't know what you do with every minute of your day, but I dream of you at night. Yesterday, when I was almost asleep, I pictured you at the bottom of the stairs, looking mischievous, with one arm on the bottom stair, peeking around the corner.

Some day, when you are growing up and mad at me because I am so not cool, I hope you will know that there is no distance, no action, no obstacle so big that could take away my dreams for you. I will never stop loving you, no matter what. I love your life mother for her amazing courage. I love your smiling caregivers who clearly adore you. I love you, not just the part of you that will live with me soon, but the part of you that I can never know in first person, because that is what makes you you.

All of the waiting and wondering that I have talked about here, in this journal, does not define us as a family. What defines us is our devotion to each other and our courage.

Your daddy is dreaming of you, loving you every day, too. Your big brother thinks of gifts for you. He wants to get you a special blanket because he knows that it will make you feel safe.

I have never held you in my arms, but I am already blessed, beyond anything I could have ever imagined, by loving you. Thank you, Daniel.

5 comments:

Jill said...

Beautiful and so true. Once Daniel is home so many people will tell him how lucky he is to have you as a mom/parent. However only us adoptive parents know that we are the ones who are lucky. We are the ones who are blessed. There is a love like no other for a child you have not touched, smelled or seen but it never stops you from loving them. It's an amazing feeling that never goes away. Soon sweet boy soon you will know have been touched by the love I know you already feel so many miles away.

Anonymous said...

Soon Greg.

This is so beautiful. Thank you for posting it for others to see, too.

Alix said...

That was beautiful. I pray every day that Daniel comes home soon!

Barry Shuman said...

Please e-mail me...we are working on something to correct the current situation...Brenda
bbarnes@clarkdg.com

Emily said...

that made me cry.
i hope you hear news so soon.