Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Person of The Week




Scotty is the "person of the week" at his preschool this week. We made posters with pictures of him doing all of the activities he loves which include (among other things) dancing, playing at the park, watching the tornado form at the museum, and digging with his cousins at the beach. Additionally, we have included all grandparents and cousins in a collage of pictures labeled and categorized according to family. He told me that all of the kids wanted to touch the posters, but his teachers said "no" because the pictures were special. As person of the week, in addition to sharing his special posters, Scotty gets to be line leader, bring a favorite book from home for the teachers to read, bring his favorite food for snack, and generally become the superstar of the 3-year-old class for a week. How awesome! All of the children in the class get to be "person of the week" at some point, not because of intelligence, behavior, good looks, or popularity, but just because they are valued for the unique experiences they have had and preferences they have developed in their three years of life.
This concept, as simple as it may seem, made me consider my own students. How great would it be to let each one of my big high school kids be person of the day one day...every single one of them at some point. My sweet kids who are dark in spirit could share sad poetry, and everybody would listen and empathize because of the value those people have on those special days. My silly girls could say their silly awkward jokes, and we could all laugh in a genuine, not artificial way, and those girls would see their worth beyond the superficial. What if my struggling academics, my awkward nerdy kids, my painfully shy wallflowers, my raucus, rambunctuous kids all had a day to shine just because they have had unique experiences and individual preferences in life! I am definitely doing "person of the day" next semester.
Furthermore, I am going to make myself person of the day one day soon (in my own mind). Why not? It is so easy to forget that God makes us special, of value because we are exactly who we are. Whether we meet any other qualifications should be inconsequential occasionally. At least, that would be nice to imagine occasionally.
On a side note, Scotty had a basketball in his shirt when I picked him up from school today, and he said, "Mommy, I gonna have a baby." It was funny.
Plus, a few days ago, when the flag was half-mast for Ford's funeral, he asked why. I told him that a very good man was sick, and then he went to live with God; the flag flying low was to say "have a nice trip". Today, when we left school and the flag was flying high, Scotty said, "that man is all better now!" I like that.

No comments: